Want to download Fortnite and play on your Android smartphone? That is not as simple as tapping the download button in the Play Store. We explain how it works.
Guide to Download, Install and Play Fortnite on Android
Popular game Fortnite is not in the Play Store. Epic games don’t want to give Google a 30% cut on IAPs hence they have decided to distribute Fortnite on Android using their own website. This makes it harder for players to find the game, but we explain how it all works.
Sign up for the beta
First of all, you should know that the game is still in beta. That means not only that Fortnite on Android is not yet running smoothly, but also that you need an invitation to play the game.
To register for the beta, go to this website and click on the ‘sign up for email invite’ button. The beta is currently working on the following devices:
- Samsung Galaxy : S7 ( Edge ), S8 ( Plus ), S9 ( Plus ), Note 8 , Note 9 , Tab S3, Tab S4
- Google : Pixel , Pixel XL , Pixel 2 , Pixel 2 XL
- Asus : ROG Phone, Zenfone 4 Pro, 5Z , V
- Essential : PH-1
- Huawei : Honor 10, Honor Play, Mate 10 ( Pro ), Mate RS, Nova 3, P20 ( Pro ), V10
- LG : G5 , G6 , G7 ThinQ , V20 , V30 , V30 +
- Nokia : 8
- OnePlus : 5 , 5T , 6
- Razer : Phone
- Xiaomi : Blackshark, Mi 5, 5S, 5S Plus, 6 (Plus), Mi 8 (Explorer), Mi 8SE, Mi Mix, Mi Mix 2, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Note 2
- ZTE : Axon 7 (s), Axon M, Nubia Z17 (s), Nubia Z11
Download the Launcher
To install Fortnite, you must first download the launcher. Once you have access to the game, you will receive a link to the launcher from Epic Games in an e-mail. This launcher installs the game.
However, you do not have to wait for the e-mail. You can also go to this website on your Android device, after which you tap ‘Get started’ and then ‘download’. Open the downloaded apk file, then tap ‘Install’.
You must give the launcher access to your storage to install the game. You also need to give access to installing unknown apps. If you get a notification, tap on ‘Settings’ and take over the switch at ‘Allow this source’. Then tap the back button and click on ‘install’ again.