Kolkata, the capital city of West Bengal is called as “the city of joy” because it covers a lot of attractions for the tourists. There are several things to do in the city and tourists should know more about them in detail before making a trip. This will help a lot to create the best memories on a trip. The city is popular one for its festivals, delicious foods, and colonial architectural buildings that make the place a popular spot among tourists. A number of people visit the city every year to plan a vacation with their family according to needs.
Anyone who wants to plan a trip to Kolkata should make sure that they don’t face any troubles when it comes to accommodation. The hotels in Kolkata offer excellent amenities for guests enabling them to enjoy a trip with others. They even provide ways to experience world-class facilities to witness complete satisfaction. Besides that, the prices are also very affordable allowing visitors to schedule their trip with ease.
What are the important places to visit in Kolkata?
- St. Paul’s Cathedral
St. Paul’s Cathedral is one of the must-see places in Kolkata because of its enriching and architectural styles. In fact, it is the first Episcopalian Church in Asia built during the British Empire. The cathedral has Indo-Gothic styles with complete cascading white edifice. Visitors can view the carvings and paintings enabling them to know more about Christian History in detail. Another thing is that the Cathedral’s complex houses several memories of the past congregants.
- Jorasanko Thakur Bari
It is the ancestral home of the Tagore family where Rabindranath Tagore was born who spent most of his life. Tourists who love literary works can visit the home allowing them to explore the lifestyle and history of Tagore in detail. The home now houses a museum which has a collection of 700 paintings that grab the attention of tourists. Located in Jorasanko, it is one of the places to visit in Rabindra Bharati University Campus.
- Rabindra Sarovar
Rabindra Sarovar is an artificial lake located in South Kolkata. It is home to a variety of migrated birds which come from Siberia and Russia. The lake also has beautiful children’s park, gardens, and auditorium enabling visitors to experience peace of mind in natural environment.
- Botanical Gardens
The botanical Garden in Kolkata is a sprawling garden which spans about an area of 273 hectares. It is home to more than 12,000 perennial plants including dried out plants collected from across the globe. Furthermore, the gardens are the oldest one in India founded by Colonel Kyd in 1786. The tea now grows in Darjeeling was first developed in the gardens.
- Alipore Zoo
Alipore Zoo is one of the oldest zoological parks in Kolkata that allow tourists to explore the wildlife. It is an ideal place for those who love nature enabling them to access a wide range of species. The zoo spread over an acre of 46.5 acres attracts more visitors every year.
Travel tips to Kolkata
- Kolkata has two railway stations Sealdah and Howrah. Sealdah railway station lies in the center of the city while Howrah station is away from city and visitors should cross Howrah Bridge located on the Hooghly River to reach the station.
- The metro network in Kolkata consists of two lines which are operational now. In the first line, the train covers 27.22 km from Naopara to Kavi Subash. The second line operates from Salt Lake Sector V to Salt Lake Stadium covers a distance of 5.8 km.
- Since Bengali is the most spoken language in Kolkata, tourists should learn some basic words before planning a trip.
- The city is well-known for its night life and tourists can enjoy their lives in pubs with a variety of alcoholic beverages.
- Kolkata is well-connected by train, air, and road networks enabling tourists to reach the place in quick turnaround time.
- Visitors shouldn’t drink tap water in the city because it may lead to health complications due to contaminants. It is advisable for them to drink only bottled water while making a trip to the city.
- Tourists should know the local traditions when they want to visit religious places such as temples, mosques, and churches.
- The best time to visit the city is from October to February in a year and visitors should plan their trip accordingly.
- Both domestic and international tourists should take a copy of important documents while making a trip to the city.
- It is advisable to take a medical kit which contains important medicines that can help to manage emergency situations.
- Tourists should avoid traveling in crowded places and lonely areas in the city to avoid thefts.
- Kolkata has a good public transportation network and tourists can choose local buses when traveling to important places in the city.
- Foreign nationals can contact the nearest banks and foreign exchange counters to know more about the latest rates while changing the currency.
Where to stay in Kolkata?
Visitors who want to stay in Kolkata should choose the right hotels which exactly fit their budgets. The best hotels in Kolkata involve different types allowing visitors to ensure world-class accommodation. Moreover, they show methods to enjoy a trip with family and others to witness more excitement.
Nowadays, it becomes a simple one to book hotels online enabling people to save more time. However, one should focus more on selecting the reputed website after making a complete research. A hotel website allows tourists to select hotels that suit their family and budgets. Budget hotels are also available for those who want to choose them at affordable prices. It is advisable to compare the prices of hotels from multiple websites before booking a room. Apart from that, it gives ways to book a hotel at the best prices that can reduce the expenses to a large extent. A hotel website gives ways to select hotels with several options.