SD-WAN, or software-defined wide area networking, helps to improve cloud connectivity and enterprise networking through combining hardware, software, and cloud-based technologies that simplify the delivery of network services to different physical sites. The result is seamless network accessibility for your team, wherever they are.
A software-defined wide area network (SD-WAN) is a virtual WAN architecture that allows enterprises to leverage any combination of transport services, including MPLS, LTE, and broadband internet services, in order to securely connect users to applications.
SD-WAN uses a control function that is centralised to securely and intelligently direct traffic across the wide-area network (WAN). This control function increases application performance and gives a high-quality user experience. This helps you to increase business productivity and reduce costs for IT.
But what benefits can SD-WAN bring to your business?
- Reduced WAN costs. With SD-WAN your budget gets you greater bandwidth, and the circuits are generally lower in cost when compared to other options. Generally, your bandwidth can come at a lower cost with SD-WAN. You can choose cheaper connection options for low-priority traffic and save pricier connections for high-priority traffic. This is because it doesn’t matter to SD-WAN what type of connection you use in your offices plus you can perform simultaneous link aggregation. It’s easy to get quality for your budget when you opt to use SD-WAN.
- DIY solutions. One of the big benefits of SD-WAN is that it can do a lot via one single pane of glass interface. With an SD-WAN solution, you can manage and deploy a Firewall with DDOS protection, IPS (Intrusion Protection), UTM (Unified Threat Management), restrict access, and even link to your CCTV cameras. The only challenge is to make the right decisions based on the specific needs and requirements of your business. You can adapt the system to what you need, with minimal difficulty, but can still deploy a stock policy across the majority of aspects.
- Next-generation security for VPN. The benefit of SD-WAN security surrounds both the insights created from granular reporting (which allows you to see exactly what traffic is passing across the WAN) alongside the ability to deploy DDOS protection, IPS, Firewall, UTM and content filtering. The fundamentals of creating a secure encrypted tunnel remain the same from a technology deployment perspective.
- Easily migrate your WAN services. Using the internet means that the migration of WAN services is much easier. With 4G and 5G connectivity, the process is very simple. Any internet connection will support the option to bring up VPN services outside of MPLS.
- Intelligent Pathways. SD-WAN doesn’t only direct traffic. Much like traffic lights, SD-WAN directs traffic based on a logical pattern. The system is smart and offers intelligent pathway control throughout your network by directing traffic based on application. Unlike a regular WAN, SD-WAN doesn’t need to route traffic through a central data hub. Instead, it is able to direct all traffic based on network-wide instructions.
- Agility and responsiveness. SD-WAN can combine the bandwidth of multiple WAN connections very easily. If your business needs to add or remove a WAN connection, a cellular connection, or a fixed-line connection, you can do this quickly and simply. This gives you maximum flexibility when connecting to cloud providers on a global basis. Application performance control is given to a centralised controller, so you can make changes to the whole system from the same place. If you don’t have to coordinate IT efforts from multiple locations, you can respond to demand much faster.
- Performance. SD-WAN offers improved performance to your business. Businesses need cloud applications in order to run. Without these systems in place, office work is stopped. The issues for many large businesses is that their workforce is distributed across multiple branches, not to mention the large number of people working from home. You need all of those locations to be secure, but you also need them to be efficient. With SD-WAN, you get universal network control and standardised security, no matter how far apart your offices are. Since you have control of your pathways and are able to select business-critical cloud applications and data packets, you can make sure that your business is never slowed down.
- Standardisation. SD-WAN helps with each deployment, as the device calls home to get its configuration. This then leads to standardisation across regions, and the central controller acts as an inventory repository for all configurations and devices.
SD-WAN combats some of the problems of traditional WANs. These WANs are based on conventional routers and were never designed for the cloud. Typically, they require all traffic to be back-hauled, including traffic destined for the cloud, from branch offices to a hub or headquarters data centre where advanced security inspection services can be applied. The delay caused by this impairs application performance, which gives a poor user experience and causes productivity to be lost.
Unlike these traditional router-centric WAN architectures, the SD-WAN model is designed to fully support applications that are hosted in on-premise data centres, public or private clouds and SaaS services.
Data Express is Australia’s leading provider of SD-WAN. We can help you to migrate your business to a distributed network that is less complex, more flexible, and easier to manage. We have an extensive global network of best-in-class suppliers and partners, allowing us to source, select and bring in the most cutting-edge products, services and technologies to our work. We have 24/7 support available from our engineers based in Australia and pride ourselves on offering seamless delivery and top-notch service. We understand that every business has a unique set of goals and challenges. Because of this, we make sure we understand your specific requirements and the long-term goals of your business. This then allows us to tailor a package to meet your distinct requirements.
Try SD-WAN free for 30-days. Contact us on 1300 801 110 or fill in our contact form.