If you are on the lookout for the best dash cam for your money, then you better weigh your options carefully. Yes, this includes being aware of the shortcomings and limitations of these devices. Instead of discouraging you from the purchase altogether, you will be able to set your expectations more realistically and put your hard-earned cash to the best use.
Pros of Using a Dash Cam in 2022
Now, let’s see what pros and cons regarding the use of a dash cam should influence your ultimate buying decision, starting with the pros:
- They are a source of invaluable evidence in lawsuits. Having a dash cam means that it’s no longer one’s word against yours before the court. These devices provide cold hard evidence that is of great help to individual drivers, police, courts, and insurance companies.
- Staged accident scams are no more. Similar to the above, dash cams make short work of accidents staged as insurance scams. They protect you from being falsely accused and having to pay dearly for the court fees and the false compensation.
- Keep an eye on thieves. Your vehicle is exposed to risks even when you are not driving. Dash cams can record what happens in your car during break-in attempts or in the case of vandalism.
- Drive better and safer. Dash cams are an excellent driving tool, particularly if you are a novice behind the wheel. With their ability to record everything that goes on in your driving reality, they surely beat a pair of eyes in detecting each mistake you make while driving. It’s like having a driving instructor, minus the nagging.
- It’s a sightseeing tool, really. Driving is a mentally and physically tasking activity, no matter how routine it may seem. While you are driving, you have to stay focused on what happens on the road and nothing else. In absence of a proper camera and enough time to use it, dash cams will dutifully record what goes on in each area you may go through, making it easy to review the footage once you park your vehicle.
Cons of Using a Dash Cam in 2022
Believe it or not, dash cams are not a universal solution to all of the problems you face while driving. Study these carefully and tune your expectations up and down accordingly.
- Dash cams can distract you while driving. By mounting your dash cam on a windshield or the dashboard you are effectively creating a visual distraction in your field of view, particularly if it comes with a large display. Try to mitigate this by placing your dash cam in a less prominent position and resisting the urge to look at it all the time.
- Mind the privacy regulations. This is particularly important if you are using a dash cam with audio recording capability. If you record people or their conversations against their will or knowledge, you are getting on a legal slippery slope since you may be violating local regulations that protect privacy.
- Dash cams are attractive thievery targets. Criminals love high-tech devices, even if they do not know what they are used for. By leaving your cam in a vehicle overnight, you are simply inviting them to steal it, so try to prevent this by taking the device with you while parked or installing a quality anti-burglary system.
If you are after a dash cam in 2022, you are treating yourself to a mature and highly functional piece of technology. Yet, it comes with a set of pros and cons, the awareness of which will help you make an informed decision before you shell out the money for a product of this type.