If you ignore your entry fiberglass doors, they become the weakest points of your home. They become vulnerable to burglars, which is not good for your safety and that of your property. But, when you do it right, you have a home to feel proud of.
There are different ways you can enhance the security of your home through the exterior fiberglass doors. However, WindowTech Windows and Doors emphasizes that the right materials and compartments for making the door are fundamental. Make your fiberglass doors secure by doing the following.
- Upgrading the Locks
This hack is one of the simplest yet efficient. This trick is mostly a DIY, but if you are not good at it, you can consider having a professional. You only work on your existing locks by replacing them with modern and sophisticated ones. They are more secure than old locks.
2. Fit Metal Grills
These are often done on exterior fiberglass doors containing glass panes. You can add grills across the panes without interfering with the aesthetics. Alternatively, use a security film on your glass. These options help in preventing intruders from getting into your home easily.
3. Fit an Alarm
There are various types of alarms. Some are simple, while others are sophisticated. Any of these alarms is relevant to your home’s security. The alarm gets triggered whenever an intruder tries to force themselves inside.
4. Replacement Doors
If you do not want to work on your door’s components, you can replace it instead. This approach is a bit expensive but worth the cost. Replacement doors are durable and are made from different materials. These materials include:
a. Exterior Fiberglass doors
It is the most common materials currently used for making replacement doors. Fiberglass doors has outstanding benefits that make it preferable. These benefits include:
- Aesthetics. This material is beautiful in that it can have different finishes. It can also be stained to resemble wood, an envied finish by most homeowners.
- Fiberglass doors don’t demand a lot of maintenance. They resist extreme temperatures, which make them not vulnerable to fading, warping or cracking. The doors also do not accumulate dirt, which is why you do not have to worry about their maintenance costs.
- Fiberglass is efficient in terms of energy. It provides insulation, which does not create room for heat loss or gain.
This is another material that is used in making replacement doors. It has favorable qualities that make homeowners use it massively. These qualities are:
- Affordable. Steel doors are the most affordable in the market. They are not limited to colors, which provide homeowners an opportunity to choose one they prefer.
- Medium-maintenance. Although these doors require regular maintenance, it is not expensive. The maintenance is minor and only needed in cases where the material gets scratched and dented.
- When it comes to insulation, steel is not as good as fiberglass. It offers a middle-level efficiency but is better than traditional doors.
5. Factors Affecting Your Choice of an Entry Door
When choosing the material for your entry door, some factors become limiting. You may want to have a specific material for your door, but these factors affect your choice:
a. Your Budget
Fiberglass is more costly than steel. But, if your budget does not allow you to go for it, you can have the steel door. The materials available leave you with alternatives if your budget is not relevant to one.
It is the amount of time you intend to spend repairing your door in the future. It also relates to the period your door is going to serve you.
Consider the place you intend to place your entry door. Is it the garage, your house, or barn? The part you plan to put your entry door can help in discerning the material you choose for your entry door.
Make sure your home is safe by considering these pointers. They can be useful, especially when you are feeling clumsy and have no idea where to start.