At the end of 2022, Ofcom published the latest ratings of complaints it received against major UK broadband, cellular, and TV companies. The quarterly report showed that the number of complaints across the board was at an all-time low, writes Advanced Television. More than this, tesco mobile network issues occurred in Britain early in 2018.
That’s why, in this article, we want to tell you how to boost mobile signal where there is none. Let’s begin!
How to choose a cellular repeater for the countryside, home, and office
Firstly, what is a repeater?
A repeater is a device that helps to amplify the signal in places where it is caught the worst. It is important to know the rules for selecting this equipment, as well as the most common errors during its installation, says UCtel. The level of an amplified signal in your home or office depends on this. Many smartphone users have encountered a situation where their device lost connection at the most unnecessary moment. This issue is especially acute for people whose work is directly related to telephone calls. A special device that amplifies the signal of the mobile network, a cellular repeater, will help to solve this problem.
What is the operating range of the repeater?
The cellular repeater amplifies and corrects the signal of the mobile network. As you know, there are several communication standards: 2G, 3G, and 4G/LTE. Each of them works on different frequency ranges:
- 2G – 900/1800 MHz. This communication standard was created mainly for voice communication.
- 3G – 900/2100 MHz. A standard created for the needs of Internet users who access the network from a smartphone. Suitable for voice communication, surfing the net, as well as communication in instant messengers.
- 4G/LTE – 800/900/1800/2600 MHz. The most advanced communication standard. Allows you to freely communicate by voice, use the full functionality of Internet services, make video calls, as well as watch online broadcasts and videos in high resolution.
When choosing a repeater range, you need to remember one rule: the smartphone will operate at the highest frequency, even if the minimum signal is caught on it. Let’s look at an example.
The mobile phone picks up a 4G signal at frequencies of 1800 and 2600 MHz. At the same time, at 1800 MHz, the display of the device shows the full signal, and at 2600 MHz, only one division. In this case, the phone will work with the 2600 MHz band, regardless of the signal level of this band. This parameter must be kept in mind. It will be needed when choosing a future amplifier.
You can find out the network standards that your phone supports on the device box or in the smartphone user manual. Knowing these parameters, you can proceed to measure the signal of the cellular network in the place where the mobile phone will be used.
How to take cell signal measurements?
There are several ways to measure a cellular signal. Based on them, a repeater model is selected according to the given characteristics:
- Household method. Its essence lies in the fact that the measurement of the network signal level is done at two points. The first location is the place where they will use the phone most often. The second location is the control point of the measurement. For example, the first measurement is done in a house or office, and the second on the street.
- Advanced method. Signal level measurement using smartphone programs. To do this, you need to download the “scanner application” on your smartphone. It will independently test all signal levels on different frequency ranges.
- exact method. Using a spectrum analyzer. This is a special diagnostic device that allows you to analyze all frequency ranges in real-time. In this case, the data will be displayed on the screen of the spectrum analyzer in the form of a histogram. The device diagnoses the signal in terms of its amplitude, frequency, and levels. The device includes a control unit and information analysis, as well as a remote antenna. The spectrum analyzer is a fairly accurate device. It can process signals in the frequency range from 9 kHz – 3 GHz. There are also more advanced devices.
By knowing network indicators, you can calculate the repeater gain, which you need to know before buying the device itself. You can also find out the signal strength of the cellular network on ordinary mobile devices. To do this, you need to enter a special service code on the phone. Usually, it consists of numbers and symbols. You can check the code on the mobile phone manufacturer’s website. And, if you need professional assistance in boosting your mobile signal, contact the UCtel experts.
What kind of mobile phone repeater to choose?
When calculating the power of the device, the following parameters are taken into account:
- external (donor) antenna gain;
- gain of the internal (service) antenna;
- loss of signal on the wires from the device to the external antenna;
- your carrier’s signal quality values (network metrics).
Recommendations for installing repeaters in offices, apartments, and cafes
In the city, the repeater is no less popular than in the country or in a private house. When installing it, better take into account several peculiarities:
- Installing an antenna in a dense urban area. If you want to place an antenna on the ground floor of your establishment or office, you should know in advance which side you will receive the strongest signal from.
- Small coverage. Calculate the number of service (home) antennas according to the area of the room (we recommend installing a service antenna in each room). Also, pay attention to partitions and signal obstructions. Place the antenna in advance so that it can cover the maximum area of \u200b\u200b your office or home.
- For offices, install dual-band repeaters, like 1800/2100 or 2100/2600. We do not recommend using equipment at the 900th frequency (but there are exceptions).
In conclusion, we want to advise you to always carefully measure the signal on the street. Choose the frequency range that “grabs” your mobile device. It will need to be strengthened. Also pay attention to the terrain conditions, as well as the installation site of the repeater. Indoors, position the antennas so that they can cover the maximum area of your home or office. Do not forget about the spatial separation of the service and donor antennas, the more “decoupling” between them, the more power the amplifier can use.
Leave a Reply