E-bikes are a wonderful invention of advanced motor technology. It has helped many regular commuters daily, especially in crowded cities. However, electric bikes have seen innovative additions to their existing styles and functions. And with more advancement, new issues, and problems arose too.
Any electric vehicle must undergo continuous technological development, trial & error, reformations, and advancements to keep up with the edge.
If you’re buying an e-bike any time soon, consider six common problems and their solutions first. Read on to learn about troubleshooting to equip yourself in advance.
1. Battery Problems
When talking about an electric commuter bike, in short, an e-bike, one of our concerns should be the battery. This is what keeps the machine of an electric bike running. So, you must know the types of problems it may go through. Knowing them will prepare you to troubleshoot the battery to avoid wasting time and money.
An e-bike battery may show problems or get damaged due to insufficient charging, lack of rest, improper washing, etc.
The problems you may encounter regarding your e-bike’s battery are
- You may find a moistened battery due to the unsecured washing system of your electric bike. The solution is not to use any pressurized water source to avoid the accumulation of moisture inside the e-bike.
- Your battery is running out of charge often. The solution is not to keep the draining function of your battery ‘On’ to the extent that it doesn’t recharge again.
- The e-bike battery may become inefficient due to overcharging. So, the solution to prevent this problem is to unplug your battery as soon as it’s fully charged.
2. Motor Issues
You should be concerned about your e-bike’s motor. Taking better care of your car, motorbike, or e-bike lies significantly with maintaining the motor. Nonetheless, e-bikes have hub motors, often showing a few common problems.
Below are a few problems related to the electric bike’s motor and how you can solve or prevent them:
- You will hear noises from inside the e-bike due to worn-out gears or bearings due to a loose bolt. The only solution could be to replace the bolt to stop the awkward noise.
- Sometimes, the noise in the motor won’t go easily even after replacing the loose bolt. Then you may apply some lubricant to the motor bearings to reduce friction and persistent noise.
- You may also observe your hub motor not spinning anymore. The problem lies with the controller due to a loose connection.
3. Problems with the Brake System
The motor inhibitor switch can turn on due to faulty brake levers and handle-bards being damaged due to an accident or collision. Here, in this case, you must replace the damaged brake lever. The other solutions to this problem are:
- Getting your cut-off switch swapped by an expert mechanic, not by yourself
- Disengaging the brake inhibitor wires very carefully to avoid any accident
- Checking and replacing the brake pads if required
- Checking the cable tension and applying lubricant for avoiding wire abrasion and brake failure.
4. Malfunctioned Wiring and Connections
Your reliable electric bike may render you optimum service for a long time, but it may show disorders if you don’t maintain it properly. Running your bike on harsh, bumpy roads may put it through extreme vibrations and shudders. This certainly may put the wiring and the interconnections at risk.
Most bikers overlook the importance of checking the external wiring system of their e-bikes due to improper mechanical knowledge. However, it’s expected that you at least learn to have a surface knowledge of these wirings, so you can check on them occasionally.
If you ever suspect having problems with tangled wiring and connections, do the below:
- Get your bike inspected by expert mechanics at the service station.
- Maintain an inspection and repair schedule, most likely every month or at least, bi-monthly.
5. Damaged Throttle System
E-bikes with a throttle system can be prone to damage due to excessive pressure on the throttle itself. Poor handling of the throttle system may also put it at risk. The wire connection of the throttle with the motor may be broken.
You must keep in mind to release the throttle gently so the wire doesn’t break or tear.
Take the following steps to deal with a broken or damaged throttle system:
- Replacing the damaged throttle with a new one should be your immediate step. So, buy a replacement throttle from a reliable shop with a guarantee that it will work nicely with your bike’s model.
- Carefully, unscrew the throttle and unwrap the cable lining with appropriate tools like an Allen wrench, flat-head screwdriver, etc.
- You have to disconnect the throttle cable with both hands. You may find it a little harder than expected to pull them apart, so put a little more effort into successfully disconnecting the throttle cable.
- Now it’s time to remove the old throttle from your e-bike while replacing it with the new one you’ve purchased. Position the throttle correctly. Otherwise, it will remain vulnerable to road rash or bumps.
- Securely connect the throttle cable, wrap the cable lining, and screw them back with the proper tools.
- Once it’s done, you may go on a test drive to check your new throttle’s position and performance.
6.Problem with Chainstay Motor
Sometimes, your electric bike may not show problems due to electrical wiring and connections. Rather, the problem might be lying with the chainstay motor connection. You’ll find the chainstay unit close to the chain. Typically, rear-hub electric bikes contain chainstay motor connections.
If you’re having a problem with the chainstay—
- Check the unit if it’s become loose
- Check the chain to see whether they’re in place firmly.
- Fix the chain and get a test drive to see if the problem still persists.
- If not solved, get your ebike checked by an expert to fix the problem.
Electric bikes may be an economic solution for those who want to commute on an eco-friendly transport system. However, like any other electric gadget, e-bikes are supposed to show problems with time. The six major problems we’ve shared above are common, but you may encounter other technical glitches too.
But preparing yourself with the problems and corresponding solutions may solve your problem at a reasonable expense and time. So, make your e-bike journey safe and efficient.